Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year 2014

Happy New Year!  Hope your 2014 contains everything you wished for!

In October I received a photo album from my aunt in Tennessee that had photos of the Criswells as well as other relatives.  My sister flew to Tennessee for Christmas and I sent a copy of The First Year as a thank you for the photo album.  It was well received and appreciated by my American cousins.
My aunt and uncle are in the process of moving to a smaller home and their family was told, take anything you want.  My sister happened to see this photo frame on the wall and brought it back to Australia for me.




These are photos of Jesse Jackson Smith and Mary Criswell Smith, taken about 1870 (according to  my grandmother's handwriting on the back of the picture).  I will need to take the photos out of the frame to make a good copy, but I couldn't wait to share them.  Do you see the carpet that Mary is standing on?  It's like one of the applique patterns from the quilt.  How many yards/metres of fabric would it take to make one dress?  And how many petticoats are under the skirt?




Block 17 is on the website now.  The fabric I used is Moda's Collections for a Cause Friendship.  The ring of flowers around the centre was a nice surprise.

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Sharon and thanks for sharing the photo of the Criswells. I was also intrigued by the pattern on the carpet and immediately zoomed in on it. I'm looking forward to another year of sewing the CCCQ with you and fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful is that photo, what a great find!
    I see what you mean about Mary's dress.. it must've weighed a tonne lol!! Love the carpet design too.. the perfect design for a quilt block.
    Thanks for another lovely applique block, that fabric was made for it :))) cheers... Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is beautiful and rich in history--where in Tennessee--I live in Nashville

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.