Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Block 3 - Priscilla and Joseph Turner

It's October, Springtime here in Australia, and it's time for another block.  If you would like to join us you can get Block 3 here.  It's not too late to order all the blocks in The First Year .  You can make the first three blocks now <G> and be ready for Block 4 in November.

If you have already signed up for The First Year you should have received your download of Block 3.  If you haven't check your spam or junk email folder.  If it's not there let me know and I will send it again.



I've named Priscilla and Joseph Turner's block 'Double Tulip'.  These images in Barbara Brackman's 'Encyclopedia of Applique' are the closest designs I can find.


There are actually three Double Tulip blocks in the original quilt.  The pattern is exactly the same for all three blocks and the same green fabric is also used in each block.  If you are making the 6 by 6 block quilt you only have to make one Double Tulip block.  If you want the challenge of reproducing the original 8 by 8 then you would need three of these.


Elizabeth Wilson
I don't know who Elizabeth Wilson is.  There are about twenty Elizabeth Wilsons in the Chester County census and I may never know which one is represented here.  Elizabeth used three different red prints in her block and I did the same.


Isaac Haines Wilson
Isaac Wilson is the second eldest son of Jane Wilson, Block 1.  His story is part of Jane's story so I haven't told it again.



Joseph and Priscilla Turner
 Priscilla has used the same red for all three flowers.  Notice that the stem piece is reversed to the other two blocks, but the pattern is certainly the same.


When I was working on this block I asked for a few volunteers to print out the first draft.  I was quite thrilled when Jo Morton put her hand up - her name is on the selvedge of one of my fabrics!  Jo commented on the fact that the stem and leaves were all one piece - a modern pattern would have the leaves and stems cut out separately.
Priscilla did her block as one piece, but Elizabeth and Isaac didn't fuss how the pieces were joined together.  A number of the blocks are pieced to make the fabric large enough, in some blocks the background fabric is pieced too.






Jan MacFadyen also proofread the draft for me.  Jan suggested that I include some instructions on using freezer paper for needleturn applique.  That's an excellent suggestion, apart from two points.  Firstly, I'm a beginner at applique and not the person for anyone to learn from.  Secondly, I've never used freezer paper so, ditto.
In September I linked to Carole's blog and her tutorial on using freezer paper.   Nancy  is also making the Chester blocks, also using freezer paper, but her paper goes underneath the fabric, not on top.  She shows her method here.
I am fascinated by the number of different ways people sew their blocks. What method are you using?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing another lovely block with us. I use freezer paper to mark my pattern on the fabric and then remove it before stitching it on the background. Others also leave the freezer paper in place while they stitch it. As you say Sharon, there are many ways to achieve the same result and most have their favourite way of appliqueing. I didn't mean to add to your workload by suggesting you include instructions as well as the patterns.
    Hugs, Jan Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block looks great, I love the use of different fabrics for each flower. Hmmm - I'm thinking about what techniques I will use for this block.....all those tricky sharp points! I might use bias for the stems. Thanks again for linking to my blog. Cheers, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the close up photos of the pieced blocks! Interesting!

    In answer to your question, I only use freezer paper for pattern tracing onto fabric then remove and needle turn. I have made another block with similar pointy appliqued pieces that might have now days been pieced. However, it seems that back in the day when these quilts were made it was not uncommon to applique such blocks. It wasn't so bad - so I'm thinking this will be OK too :)

    Also would love to make this block to swap with another CC quilter. Wouldn't that be fun! It would make my quilt a real modern album quilt too. Any takers?
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, Barbara Brackman says this block was often pieced with diamond shapes. The Carolina Lily pattern is similar but the petals are diamonds and the green base is a triangle.

      A block swap - how exciting - any one interested?

      Delete
  4. I use freezer paper to make the pattern, iron it to the right side of the fabric and draw around it with a Gelly Pen, I then remove the FP and needle turn. Elly Sienkiewicz describes the method much better in her DVD. I have had good results with this method, drawing around the shape first seems to create a crease in the fabric making it easier to turn under.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and am always happy to respond. If you want an answer, check that your profile settings include 'show my email address'; otherwise I can't send you a message.